Friday, July 15, 2011

Surprise Pains...... What I wish I had known

So at about 5 days after my c-section I was feeling pretty good.  Not really having any incision pain, just enjoying my new baby and then BAM!!!  I started getting this really bad right shoulder pain.  I couldn't lay down because that only increased the pain and I could barely breathe through it. Every time I moved sharp pains would shoot through my right shoulder up to my neck.  I had to sleep in our recliner upright  for 2 days. We searched the internet to find people who have had a similar problem and I also called my doctors office.  We found out that little pockets of air had gotten trapped in my abdomen during my c-section.  These air pickets had then traveled up my body and lodged under my diaphragm, which was causing my shoulder pain.  The nurse said that the only things I could do to help the pain go away was to keep moving and to drink a lot of water.  I basically just had to wait for the air pockets to get absorbed by my body.  Luckily, after 2 days the pain was a lot better.  It still lingered for about a week and sometimes when I lay on my right side I still have some pain.  I was just so surprised by this side effect from my surgery because I never experienced it with Avery and no one had told me that it could happen.  The nurse at the doctor's office said that it was really common.  Well,"Hello isn't that something you should tell patients so that they don't get freaked out."  Anyways just wanted to share my little drama episode encase there are others out there that might need to know some possible side effects of abdominal surgery. Side note: This pain was way worse then the pain from my c-section.

1 comment:

TheThomasTidbits said...

Britt, I had the same thing happen after Nathan was born I hernia surgery and the air traveled to my shoulder it was horrible I feel for you OUCH!!!