Monday, June 30, 2008

Another Saturday, Another 20 Mile Bike Ride

Of course it was saturday (our usual day to do an activity together) and we decided to go on a bike ride. I thought that we were just going to do a leisurely ride, but it didn't quite turn out that way. We started around 10 am and got back at 12 pm. We rode over by the instacare in Hurricane and down around by the golf course and clear to the new turn off for Sand Hollow. We then proceeded to ride around Sand Hollow. It was going good until I saw the first big hill we were going to climb. Now george probably wasn't nervous because he loves biking and he has a lot of experience in that area. I, however, am a greeny to serious biking. My only experience is when I was a kid riding around our neighborhood (where there were no hills). Anyway as we were approaching the hill I kept chanting in my head "You can do this, you will make it up this hill, just remember what George taught you, do not wuss out." ( mind you george was already half way up the hill, but I had told him to go ahead of me because I didn't want to hold him back). Lo and behold, I made it up the hill. My legs were aching and my water by that time was warm but I was proud of myself. Then, however, I looked ahead and saw another hill. Not as bad as the one we just rode up so I totally knew I could make it up that one with some smart adjusting of my gears. (adjusting your gears is very important knowledge to have when riding up hills and such) And I did make it, but it was slow going. I asked George if there were anymore hills left tp ride up and he told me just one more and it wouldn't be too bad. Not too bad, ahhh , YES it was. Imagine 2 foremasters looming in your biking future. I was not excited, but I decided I would give it a good effort. Well, my effort lasted about 1/4th of the way up the hill and I couldn't take it anymore and just got off my bike and walked the rest of the way up. Good thing to cause I desperately needed to stretch out my cramped legs. Its amazing what a bike seat can do to your derriere. Even doing that about killed me. I was breathing pretty hard by then. George, who has awesomely strong legs, biked all the way up it. Granted he stopped a couple times, but he never got off his bike. I was very proud of him ( as I was cursing him for taking me this way on our ride). So I finally made it to the top and on we went. The last leg of our trip wasn't too bad, but my legs were so tired it was all I could do to keep going. There were a couple times where I just wanted to stop and throw my bike to the ground and demand George to call my sister to pick us up. I , of course, controlled that childish urge and kept quiet because I really do enjoy biking and I knew that I was just really, really tired and frustrated by how much further we had to go. All in all it turned out to be 20.6 miles of biking, some sunburned arms, and a lot of pride for myself and George.

5 comments:

Jess's Journey to the Land Of Skinny said...

I am proud of you for making it on the bike ride and pushing yourself. See how much better you feel about yourself because you were able to do something you didn't think you would be able to do! Way to go!

David Fife said...

KUDOS, holy cow, you are a trooper, I probably would have given up on the first hike, my goodness. WOW!!! You put me to shame!! Good for you!

David Fife said...

I meant hill not hike, don't know how that happened :)

Aimee & Brennen Fuller said...

2 claps for you guys and that awesome ride. It sounded super hard...and then with the hills...yikes. I think I may have given up after the first hill! Anywho, I missed you at work this week but I hope you are having fun with your family this 4th.

J, K, E & C Hadley said...

The only leisurely ride I have ever had with Jeff in 14 years was earlier this week with Ethan. I am sure even that will be short lived. There is no such thing as a leisurely bike ride with any of the Hadley boys, although I do admire them and love to ride myself.